Monday 29 July 2013

YUJIRO JAPANESE RESTAURANT - Lunch


Over the past few months Yujiro has become not only my favourite sushi restaurant in Winnipeg, but my favourite lunch spot as well.  They're now open week round and their bento boxes are cheaper at lunch (albeit sans ice cream).  But best of all, they've begun to feature ramen, udon, and a daily special which usually consists of a variation on one of the two during lunch hours only.  

On my most recent visit the special was tanuki udon, a half order of chirashi, and salad ($13).  While I'm more partial to ramen noodles than udon noodles, I was sold on the clean simplicity of the soup which aside from the noodles had a decent helping of tempura crumbs and a few chopped scallions.  It paired nicely with the assortment of fish atop sushi rice.  The chirashi consisted of tuna, salmon, octopus, shrimp, tamago, and hamachi (my personal favourite).  Yujiro's fish has always been the most flavourful and freshest that I've tasted in the city.  Unlike many restaurants, if you close your eyes you're still able to differentiate the salmon from the tuna.  And, though hamachi has long been my favourite, the salmon that they've been using recently is some of the best I've tasted and worth going out of your way to try.
Clearly I have nothing but praise to give Yujiro.  Having frequented the restaurant for years, it is exciting to see them continue to expand and improve.  Hopefully the next step they take is to offer more varieties of ramen, or maybe open a second spot that serves non-sushi Japanese dishes as that is something that Winnipeg sorely needs.

1822 Grant Ave.
(204) 489-9254

Yujiro Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment