Wednesday 10 July 2013

FAMENA'S FAMOUS ROTI/CURRY

I'm a little ashamed of how long it has been since I last ate at Famena's.  Back when they operated out of the restaurant in the Garry Hotel they were my favourite word of mouth gem.  They've since moved right next door, occupying the lunch counter (formerly and briefly Kraut King) at the base of the circular Garry Street parkade near Portage Avenue.  

On this most recent visit I kept it simple and went with a chickpea with potato roti ($6.75).  I vaguely remembered how large the rotis were and was not mistaken.  I can rarely resist doubles when they're offered but I fear that had I not, I would not have come close to finishing my meal.  Maybe next time.  I'm pretty sure the roti shells are made in house and it shows, though seeing them get microwaved does take away a little magic.  The filling was well spiced, neither too moist nor too dry and both chickpeas and potatoes were well represented.  Plenty of also seemingly homemade hot sauce is on offer to spice things up, but be sure to heed the warning that goes along with it.  This being said, I was still taken aback by how spicy those scotch bonnets can be. For my money this is probably the best and also hottest hot sauce in the city. 
It may come in a big bottle but don't treat it like ketchup.
I've had some bad experiences eating Caribbean around the city over the past couple years but Famena's is definitely renewing my faith. All around an excellent roti which is even made better by the personableness of the owners.  I'm sure I'll be back soon to try one of their daily specials. 
295 Garry Street
(204) 414-9040
Famena's Famous Roti/Curry on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment